Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Tuesday Nighter and I met Floyd Landis

So last Tuesday I had a great race and JDP went off the front to bridge to a twosome that had about 5 seconds on the group. I hesitated and had to bridge later. Well me and one of the guys that races for Hooters are bridging nicely with 3 to go and PSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTT, I flat on a high speed corner. Pissed. Well, JDP won and I guess I was happy to see that. On my way to the race last night, I stopped by RBM to get some Gu's and a tube before my race. I had tons of energy so I went over to the shop early to help burn off some nervous energy and see if we were going to race since it had been lightly raining all day. As I walk in I see the parking lot is packed and there's all kinds of suits, kids and extra staff walking around. Well, I'm at the check out and I look up to see Floyd on the stand. I scooted over to one of the guys I know and ask them if I could get in to say hi and for a small donation to Floyd's Fairness Fund I got a chance to say hi, get a picture taken and tell him that he's still the champ to us and to keep fighting. I'm not one to go out of my way to meet people (other than Gretzky and Messier) but it was kind of cool to meet the guy and hear what he had to say. As you can see, he's not a very big guy but he seemed to interact with the people and the crowd much better than he does on TV. He said that the conflict between he and Lance was just two strong personalities and that Floyd wanted to be more than just a domestique. For all of you wattage guys/gals Floyd also said that he averaged about 435w/kg on a time trial when he was "in shape" oh and that is for an hour. Pretty impressive no matter what. Floyd fielded a lot of questions and an interesting one to me was about the diet of the tour riders. He said they get sick of eating the sponsor bars all the time so they mix in pb&j's, trade bars and have their own favorites in their feed bags. The average breakfast was usually an omelet with rice or pasta and by the middle of the tour they don't have an appetite but only force themselves to eat for the mechanics of it. Oh, the crit was a rain out.

No comments: