Sunday, November 05, 2006

Nice Day to Run a Half

Started out pretty early to get a parking spot and stretch. i-Pod charged, shoes laced and knee free of it's carbon fiber/titanium contraption with too much time before the start. I've only ran that far a couple of times but never more than 3-4 without my knee brace. Too many injuries have been my excuse to not run often but I've always been of the mindset that if you believe-weak you'll be weak. Bye, bye knee braces. (except maybe for hockey) Slow start as too be expected but I started well and had a slow last 3 miles. I finished in about 2 hours but admittedly have ran about 4 times before this as I was trying to hang on to what was left of cycling season. I'm really anxious about the spring so race season will be in full swing. There was a big Harley guy with a cane that I saw 3 times at different points of the race. He was cheering everyone on so after I finished I figured I could do the same. I backtracked the course and cheered everyone on from the 12.5 mile mark. I told them the hard part was over and they did a great job. People were happy that they were almost done so I got about 50 high-fives for my efforts. After a decent showing considering my training for the event, I'm a little torqued that I didn't put in the effort and get a good finish time. I'm thinking of doing the half in December and if I do I'll train. I'd like to run about 1:45 or better so maybe I can use running to jump start the beginning of my bike training. Overall a pretty enjoyable day. I watched the highlites of the NYC marathon and saw Lance finish in just under 3 hours and some other pretty cool stories.

No comments: