Sunday, February 25, 2007

Windburg Classic

Wind with gusts up to 40mph made for a brutal day. I had a good race set up till I got a little over zealous and tried to bridge a gap that left me in the middle of no man's land, in the middle of a dust storm that literally had mud on one side of my body from the dirt sticking to sweat. Yuk. I lost about 10 positions due to my arrogance in my strength which, as it turns out, wasn't based on anything of substance on this day. Bikes were being ridden at 45 degree angles and those that opted for deep aero wheels were being blown all the way across the road. I finally hooked up with a group of 5 guys and quickly jumped into the rotation to prove I wasn't sitting on and we worked for the last 5-6 miles directly into the wind. I got 2nd in the group at the finish after we'd gathered up about 10 riders and it literally was everything I had to increase speed at the end.
I met a lot of the guys from Mirage and they're all pretty good guys or at least it seems like it from the way the said, "hello." I don't think my fitness was an issue but my intervals need some work and I have to be more patient and actually work with some groups.
I wish I would have stayed down there for Pace Bend but work calls. Overall, a great race even if I finished poorly, I just love racing, maybe not as fun as racing supersport since that engine never seems to lack speed and the wheelies, braking, cornering intensity is wild, the cycling is pretty satisfying. Time for breakfast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI Punk-
The results were updated later that week and you ended up coming in better than the original post. Check them out.
See you Saturday.